John J. Karls
CS460 Capstone Project
Design assistive technology that will allow a person to control a
mouse using a web cam.
- Use an ordinary web cam as the input device.
- Use the movement or change of an object such as a finger
or pencil to control the mouse. To help with the detection
of the object an artificial environment can be used to create
a contrast between the object and the background.
- A calibration method may be used to initially locate the
object and the user can be restrained to boundaries within
the frame of the camera.
- Filter out external "noise" such twitching or various light changes.
- Test the interface using existing
applications and, of course, your own.
- Keep manual initialization at a minimum.
- Design experiments to analyze the accuracy of the interface.
- Analyze different techniques or methods to allow people to navigate a mouse.